Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The title

And the title naming winner is... Elisse!  Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas on a name for the blog :)  It's kind of ironic that before I asked for people's suggestions, I already had "rite of passage" at the top of my list.  The main reason is because of a poem that Mom had written and given to me right before going to Snow College.  It has given me comfort as I go on this journey through life. 


"Rite of Passage/Anticipation/The Ride"

I remember.

Painful anticipation.
I stick my hands in my pocket to cover up my sweaty palms.
My breathing, shallow and rapid.
Over and over, "no big deal, no big deal, no big deal," the mantra I repeat trying to calm
myself.  It isn't working.
I look up, the cars going round and round and round, just watching makes me dizzy
so I turn away.
My heartbeat, my heart is beating so hard I not only feel it but see it through my clothes.
Will I survive?  Will I make it?

Why did I put myself through that?
Why was it necessary to go on that ride?

To prove that I could?
To overcome my fear?
A rite of passage.


Euphoria!  The ride, the wind in my face, the thrill, the speed, I love it!
I rode it again and again and again!
And loved it every time.
If only I had known...

Now
I'm standing in line for a different ride.
The symptoms are the same, only I seem to feel them greater.
I close my eyes to block out the fear and the pain and the apprehension.
"No big deal, no big deal, no big deal," my prayer mantra.  It isn't working.

But wait
I remember the fear, but then the euphoria
Maybe
If I just wait for the ride to start...

A new rite of passage.
I'm not on this ride alone.
He is always there to hold my hand.
Euphoria!

-Sharon Lines 

No comments:

Post a Comment